Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo has a small museum that aims to preserve and share the cultural memory of the Douro region.
Wine Museum Centre Fernanda Ramos Amorim opened its doors in September 2017 but is already a project with many years. Despite being married for 48 years to Américo Amorim (the one who was the richest entrepreneur Portuguese) Fernanda Ramos Amorim always liked the simple life of the field. Born in 1935, the childhood spent in Quinta de São Salvador de Grijó, in Vila Nova de Gaia, made her develop a taste for antique furniture, by objects representing arts and crafts that reflect the witness of the memory, culture and identity of the Region Demarcated from the Douro in the 19th and 20th centuries.
This is how for many years it was collecting pieces that have been part of several exhibitions, including at pinhão's former train station. At that time, Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo - which has been owned by the Amorim family since 1999 and is now led by Luísa, one of his daughters - had a partnership with Refer to launch its project of enourism and a museum nucleus. An initiative that in 2009 received the Global Wine Tourism Award, in the Art and Culture category, by the Great Wine Capitals Network. However, this collection began to be exhibited in its own space created from scratch by architect Arnaldo Barbosa, a building harmoniously framed in the landscape where the shale dominates, and in the rest housing complex of Quinta Nova. In the presentation of the contents, the museology company MUSE and the Douro Museum Foundation collaborated.
On site, the visitor gets to know the most relevant objects representative of the art of wine, detailed testimonies of the various phases of production. The space counts 200 square meters of gross area and is divided by small departments, each dedicated to different phases of production. The first was baptized viticulture (Tradition and Sustainability) and makes known the agricultural part, where everything begins. Soon after comes the Winery and Warehouse (Elegance and Authenticity), followed by the Laboratory and Tasting Room (Rigor and Balance), and the Traffic Jam (Character and Longevity). Finally, in the last part of the route, the visitor is aware of the history of Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo, a property from the early eighteenth century that came to belong to the Portuguese Royal House, with documented records since 1725.
The largest part of these objects are family, but many of them are also purchased to producers or discovered in old houses, and subsequently Retrieved. To highlight two of the most important pieces of this collection - the crusher and the press - which belonged to the home of the friars of the Quinta do Mosteiro de Grijó, and are very representative of the art of making wine.
With this recent museum nucleus, Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo began to have one of the wine tourism projects most complete in the Duriense region, as the property also includes a hotel, restaurant and activities scheduled for its more than 12,000 guests and annual visitors.